History

On March 3, 1977, Mountain View Credit Union was formed by the amalgamation of four small credit unions:

  • Cremona, operating since 1943
  • Olds, operating since 1957
  • Sundre, operating since 1959
  • Didsbury, operating since 1961

At the time of this amalgamation, assets totaled $1.3 million.

Over time, the credit union saw steady growth, until 1988, when a dividend on common shares was declared for the first time.

In 1990, renovations to the Didsbury and Cremona premises were completed.  Plans for a new building to house the Olds branch and Administration office were developed and land was purchased in 1991. Construction of the new building in Olds was completed in 1992.

In 1993, Mountain View Credit Union was released from supervision after being consistently profitable since 1985, and equity being at acceptable levels.  Property was purchased for a new building in Sundre in 1994 and construction was completed the following year.  Our first ATM was installed in Sundre in 1995 and land was purchased for a new building in Didsbury.

In 1996, the new building in Didsbury was completed with a drive-thru ATM.  An ATM was also installed in Olds.  Purchase of the Beiseker branch from First Calgary Savings & Credit Union was finalized October 30, 1996.  In 1997, an ATM was installed in Beiseker and Dividend and Patronage Payments were declared for the 10th consecutive year.

In 1998, our assets surpassed the $100 million mark and our operating profits achieved the $1 million mark.  Assets totaled $113 million at year-end.

In 1999, a new building, including ATM, was constructed in Cremona. In Beiseker, we purchased and renovated an existing building and moved to the new location. Carbon and Morrin branches were purchased from the Bank of Montreal in 2000, and Olds constructed a new addition and renovated the existing building. A new ATM was installed in Carbon in 2001.

In 2002, assets surpassed the $200 million mark. During 2003, a new building was constructed and our 8th branch opened in Linden. Two new ATMs were also installed, one at Linden and the other at Morrin. In 2004, two more branches opened, one in Crossfield and the other in Delia.  At Crossfield, a new building was constructed and ATM installed, bringing the total number of ATMs to 9 and the total branches to 10.

In 2005, assets surpassed the $300 million mark.  An offer was submitted to purchase land in Delia in 2006 for construction of a new building. During 2007, growth remained strong overall with assets surpassing $467 million. In 2008, the new building was constructed in Delia, complete with our 10th ATM. The credit union continued to grow, with assets exceeding the $500 million mark.

We opened our 11th branch in Carstairs in February, 2009, including an on-site ATM. We also opened our Business Banking Centre in Olds in November. In November of 2012, we opened our 12th branch in Langdon.

In June of 2016, members of the Eckville District Savings & Credit Union voted in favour of a partnership with Mountain View Credit Union. The two credit unions legally amalgamated August 1, 2016.

On June 7th, 2018, members of Mountain View Credit Union voted in favor of amalgamation with Connect First Credit Union. 

On August 1, 2018 Mountain View Credit Union amalgamated with Connect First Credit Union, Canada’s 7th largest credit union, and officially became their fourth operating division: Mountain View Financial, a division of Connect First Credit Union. Connect First provides service to 120,000 central and southern Albertans across 42 branches, and the Mountain View Financial division continues to serve members across 13 branches throughout Central Alberta.

Mountain View Financial continues to adapt and grow, and we invite you to join our growing membership.